Get to Know Your Garage Door11/05/2013 Back To Blog
Most drivers have learned to press a couple of buttons in order to enter their garages and this gives them the illusion that there is no need to get familiar with their door and garage door parts. This attitude may lead to several problems when garage door issues pop up and homeowners don't know how to deal with them. Knowing your door and mechanism would help them work better and you will able to do garage door maintenance with confidence and higher efficiency.
Start with simple service
• Before you are involved in garage door service, you should read carefully the instructions of the manual enriching your knowledge about the peculiarities of the parts. This would be a very valuable tool since you can understand better how the parts work and what they need in order to function properly.
• The panels of the mechanism are really heavy and cost much and that's why it is important to inspect them often for possible erosion problems and dye issues. The least you can do is clean them frequently and if you need to repaint them, the procedure is rather simple.
• The manual will also provide information about the life cycle of each part. It is extremely vital to know when it is the best time to replace the garage door springs and the other major parts and it is prudent to do that before the date recommended expires. If you would have to deal with a garage door broken spring, it would cost you more both in time and money.
• You must get to know how the door is operated manually. Find the emergency cord release and learn how to use it because you will probably need it once or twice but at these times, you have to know where it is and what to do.
• Lubrication maintenance is important and doesn't require special knowledge. You just have to get the right lubricants.